- One of the most visited sites on the Internet, Yahoo Inc. delivers a broad array of original and curated content to more than half a billion visitors in more than 30 languages every month.
- In the fast-moving, increasingly crowded, constantly innovating media technology space, Yahoo faced growing competition from both established and emerging players for the attention of consumers and advertisers.
- Yahoo needed to find new ways to differentiate themselves from the competition in order to demonstrate continued value to both audience members and advertisers.
- Yahoo decided that a deeper understanding of its customers would help it stand out from the crowd. The company turned to Vision Critical to help it build Yahoo Yodelers, an insight community of 15,000 customers they could turn to for ongoing feedback and insight.
- The ability to engage thousands of customers helped Yahoo develop a better understanding of its customers, including their offline behavior. “The most important thing is to really know who your customers are, what they value, what matters to them, and what they’re looking for in the future,” says David Iudica, Director of Strategic Insights and Research at Yahoo.
- Yahoo’s insight community allows the company to maintain a secure, two-way dialogue with its customers. The community uses a blog to keep members informed and updated on how their insight is being used.
- Powered by Vision Critical’s customer intelligence platform, the Yahoo Yodelers insight community helps the company make better, more informed decisions by accessing the thoughts and opinions of its customers.
- Yahoo has been able to pass customer insight on to its advertising partners, improving the effectiveness of ad spend.
- “It’s not just an online survey. It’s a rich and robust methodology that you can really dig into and get some serious answers,” says Iudica. “What we’ve been able to do through these online focus groups, through the live chats, through the mobile video discussions, is get a visual of what people are really thinking. Vision Critical’s capabilities have really helped us to bring that to life with our consumers and with our clients.”