Traditional ad hoc research typically takes 4 to 8 weeks to go from inception to results. If you have an online community of customers who have already agreed to answer questions on an ongoing basis – like what you get with an insight community – you can get results in 4 days. In other words, an insight community gets you results 7 to 14 times faster than what you get from conventional research.
A difference that dramatic is a difference not only in number but in kind. To understand how transformative this kind of research acceleration can be, think about accelerating – or decelerating – other processes by a comparable factor.
If life moved 7 times faster:
- You could finish high school in just 7 months.
- You could drive non-stop from New York to Los Angeles in 6 hours.
- You could have a twenty-year-old neurosurgeon, because neurosurgery training could be completed within 2 years of high school graduation.
- A US president’s term would only last for 8 months.
- A typical workday will last for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Conversely, why are you putting up with slow? If life moved 7 times slower:
- You’d be stuck in high school for 28 years. 9th grade alone would last for seven years. (Shudder.)
- It would take at least 14 hours to drive from San Jose to San Francisco.
- An episode of Grey’s Anatomy might last for an entire workday.
- The Oscars would literally take a full day to hand out awards. And last year’s Oscar-nominated Les MisÌ¬rables would be an 18-hour movie.
- A typical pop song would last for almost half an hour.
- A human pregnancy would last for more than 5 years.
An insight community provides significantly faster access to your customers or audiences for insights that keep up with or get ahead of the speed of your business. You wouldn’t want to be stuck in high school for almost 3 decades – so why let your research take 7 times as long?